This week’s Five Factors box scores are up! Check out all the results here. Week 13’s superior performances in each category are below.
Top 5 success rate margins (vs. FBS)
- Toledo (+41% vs. CMU)
- Georgia (+38% vs. Georgia Tech)
- Cincinnati (+36% vs. ECU)
- Vanderbilt (+30% vs. Tennessee)
- Kentucky (+29% vs. Louisville)
It probably goes without saying that when an option team has a disadvantage of nearly 40 percentage points, it’s probably gonna get blown out.
Top 5 yards per play margins (vs. FBS)
- Temple (+7.3 vs. UConn!!!)
- Alabama (+4.7 vs. Auburn)
- MTSU (+4.5 vs. UAB)
- Washington (+4.2 vs. Wazzu)
- Wyoming (+4.0 vs. New Mexico)
Man, UConn made an art out of getting gashed on defense this year.
Top 5 field position margins (vs. FBS)
- Toledo (+21.8 vs. CMU)
- WMU (+17.6 vs. NIU)
- Florida (+16.3 vs. Florida State)
- Georgia Southern (+15.7 vs. Georgia State)
- Temple (+15.7 vs. UConn)
Florida tilted the field, wrecked FSU in terms of efficiency, and benefited from turnovers luck. That’s how you turn a rivalry game into a rout.
Top 5 points per scoring opportunity margins (vs. FBS)
- Oregon (+5.3 vs. Oregon State)
- Missouri (+5.2 vs. Arkansas)
- Penn State (+4.8 vs. Maryland)
- UNLV (+4.5 vs. Nevada)
- Arkansas State (+4.3 vs. Texas State)
Oregon and Oregon State created the same number of scoring opportunities on offense (six each). And Oregon won by 40. Hard to do.
Top 5 turnovers luck margins (vs. FBS)
- Southern Miss (+4.1 vs. UTEP)
- Florida (+3.0 vs. Florida State)
- Houston (+2.8 vs. Memphis)
- Cal (+2.7 vs. Colorado)
- CMU (+2.6 vs. Toledo)
Translation: Houston had a turnover margin that was an incredible +2.8 ahead of where national averages suggest it should have been. As each turnover is worth approximately five points, that means the Cougars enjoyed about a 14-point boost thanks to turnovers luck. In a three-touchdown loss. In case you’re wondering why Memphis rose by quite a bit in S&P+...