This week’s Five Factors box scores are up! Check out all the results here. Week 12’s superior performances in each category are below.
Top 5 success rate margins (vs. FBS)
- Georgia (+30% vs. Georgia Tech)
- Wisconsin (+28% vs. Minnesota)
- Oklahoma (+27% vs. West Virginia)
- Memphis (+27% vs. ECU)
- Penn State (+25% vs. Maryland)
Man, Georgia just wrecked Tech, huh?
Top 5 yards per play margins (vs. FBS)
- Memphis (+7.8 vs. ECU)
- Oklahoma (+6.5 vs. West Virginia)
- Troy (+5.2 vs. Texas State)
- Wisconsin (+48 vs. Minnesota)
- Utah State (+4.2 vs. Air Force)
S&P+ has been picking the underdogs on the big spreads all year, and it’s paid off most of the time. This week, however, the blowouts flowed. Like, for instance, Memphis-ECU.
Top 5 field position margins (vs. FBS)
- Oregon (+22.5 vs. Oregon State)
- Michigan State (+20.1 vs. Rutgers)
- Washington (+18.8 vs. Wazzu)
- Navy (+18.6 vs. Houston)
- Penn State (+17.6 vs. Maryland)
Navy lost with a huge field position advantage? That’s hard to do...
Top 5 points per scoring opportunity margins (vs. FBS)
- Wisconsin (+6.2 vs. Minnesota)
- Penn State (+5.9 vs. Maryland)
- Louisiana Tech (+5.2 vs. UTSA)
- Memphis (+47 vs. ECU)
- Houston (+4.0 vs. Navy)
...though this does explain it...
Top 5 turnovers luck margins (vs. FBS)
- Georgia Southern (+3.6 vs. UL-Lafayette)
- LSU (+3.3 vs. Texas A&M)
- Stanford (+3.0 vs. Notre Dame)
- Texas Tech (+2.7 vs. Texas)
- Tulane (+2.7 vs. SMU)
Translation: LSU had a turnover margin that was +3.3 ahead of where national averages suggest it should have been. As each turnover is worth approximately five points, that means Texas A&M suffered about 16-17 points’ worth of bad turnovers luck. Tigers still won by 24, though.