Last week we looked at the top 25 F/+ teams in a scatter plot. This week we'll do the same for each of the major conferences.
This is a good way to quickly see how a team stacks up on both sides of the ball. You want to be in the NE corner of these charts. The further "east" you go, the better your defense is. The further "north" you go, the better your offense goes. I inserted a blue line on each axis showing where you have to score to be a top 25 unit.
I used the same scale on every chart to make it easier to compare conferences against each other at a quick glance.
One more note before we get to the visuals: Even though some team names overlap, I did not modify their placement. I figure you are all smart enough to figure out what teams are on top of each other even if they are difficult to read. On we go...
click on any image to make it easier to read
- Teams in the top 25 in both categories: FSU.
- Teams above average in both categories: FSU, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech.
- Notes: Virginia Tech has the #1 defense in the country. FSU is the only school in the top 10 in both categories.
- Teams in the top 25 in both categories: Baylor.
- Teams above average in both categories: Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, K-State.
- Notes: three top 25 defenses in the Big 12, and two of them belong to Baylor and OSU. Checking to make sure these aren't baseball stats. Texas has the 9th best defense in the Big 12, narrowly edging out Iowa State.
- Teams in the top 25 in both categories: Wisconsin
- Teams above average in both categories: Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Northwestern.
- Notes: A couple very unbalanced teams in the Big 10: Indiana is #3 on offense, #115 on defense. Michigan State is #86 on offense, #4 on defense. F/+ doesn't love Ohio State as much as the votes do thanks to OSU's #44 ranked defense in the system, good for 5th-best in the Big 10.
- Teams in the top 25 in both categories: Stanford, Oregon, Arizona State, Washington
- Teams above average in both categories: Stanford, Oregon, Arizona State, Washington, Utah, UCLA, Arizona, USC, Oregon State
- Notes: The Pac 12 shows its strength with two teams in the F/+ top 5 and 9 teams in the top 36. The F/+ system loves Arizona State (#6 overall). The Sun Devils are currently not ranked in either major poll.
- Teams in the top 25 in both categories: Bama, Missouri, South Carolina
- Teams above average in both categories: Bama, Missouri, South Carolina, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State.
- Notes: Bama is #2 in the country on defense - familiar territory. But the Tide is #15 on offense, the first time since 2008 that they have been outside of the top 10 on that side of the ball. Florida has struggled offensively (worst in the SEC), but their #6 defense is the best unit Florida State will face for the rest of the regular season.
- Teams in the top 25 in both categories: Louisville
- Teams above average in both categories: Everyone on the chart except for Utah State.
- Notes: these are a bunch of good-but-not-great teams. Even the standout - Louisville - has just barely a top 25 defense.