We continue our week of ratings updates by moving to 2006. Below, you'll find new S&P+ and F/+ ratings; again, beginning with 2007, we work in special teams rankings and FEI updates as well, but for 2005-06, special teams does not play an isolated role.
The F/+ Top 40 for 2006 is below. The entire list can be found at Outsiders. Some quick notes:
- During the "Alabama vs Oklahoma State" debate, I mentioned that Alabama and LSU were clearly the two best teams, and with no "No Rematches" clause, they should play for the national title. (Granted, OSU closed the gap considerably at the end of the regular season, but the point stands.) In response, I had a couple of people bring up 2006 Michigan, and how they and Ohio State were "clearly the two best teams in 2006" as reason for giving Oklahoma State a shot (since Ohio State lost badly to Florida). One problem with this: Ohio State and Michigan were in no way "clearly the two best teams" according to our F.O. rankings. Granted, the below rankings take their terrible bowl performances into account, but even without the bowls, Ohio State was not very far ahead of everybody at No. 1, and Michigan was barely in the Top 5. And after the bowls, Michigan was as close to No. 2 LSU as they were to No. 15 Boston College.
- This was actually a pretty interesting year, with four teams within 3.0% of the top spot. Currently in 2011, nobody is within 7.6% of LSU. (Further proof that there was no dominant team in 2006: No. 1 Florida would barely be ahead of 2011's No. 3 Oklahoma State at +29.1%.
- This was an odd, good-and-bad year for the SEC (not unlike 2011). Florida and LSU were 1-2 ... but only one other team was in the Top 15, only two others in the Top 20. Lots of good teams (they did still have No. 12, No. 16, and Nos. 23-25), but only two elite teams and fewer Top 12 teams than ... the Big East.
- Man, the Big East was good this season. And then things rather quickly fell apart. West Virginia stayed strong, South Florida surged ahead, and Louisville and Rutgers quickly regressed.
- Go here for the Classic Study Hall post about the Florida-Ohio State title game.
2006 F/+ Top 40